6 cups oats
3/4 cup milled flax seed
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dehydrated carrots pieces* (measure first then grind into a powder in a spice grinder)
1 1/2 cups honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
*Dehydrated Carrots - you can grate and dry your own (how to dehydrate your own) to keep on hand for this recipe or you can purchase dehydrated carrots from Honeyville. I get mine from Honeyville and primarily use them in jar soup recipes for Make Ahead Meals. You can also but Carrot Powder on Amazon.
- Preheat oven to 325* - rack in middle position. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine olive oil, honey, allspice, kosher salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and the carrot powder in a bowl. Mix until combined. Let stand at room temperature for 10 mins (this is to let the carrot powder "rehydrate" a little)
- Combine oats, milled flax seed, and chopped walnuts (and any of the optional items) in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Now here is the FUN part! Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. I use my hands to combine - much less messy then using a spoon. I use cooking gloves, less clean up :)
- Once ingredients are combined, spread out onto your parchment lined, rimmed baking sheets. For a loose granola, spread the mixture loosely on the sheets. For a more clumpy granola, press mixture together on the sheets. I use 2 sheets. Bake for 20 minutes. Checking halfway through to stir.
- After removing from the oven, let cool for 20-30 minutes. Break apart and put in airtight containers.
Raisins, Dried Pineapple, Yogurt Covered Raisins, etc.
If you like to add any of these in you granola, you can add a cup of them to the dry ingredients.