1 bunch broccoli (about 1 pound), florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick, divided use
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon mustard
1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add broccoli stems, reduce heat to medium, boil for 5 minutes.
- Add florets to boiling water, boil for an additional 7 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat, drain water out, puree cooked broccoli. I use my immersion blender. While pureeing add milk, garlic, mustard, seasoning, and 1/2 tbsp kosher salt (optional).
- Blend until combined, place back on heat. Slowly bring sauce to a gentle boil, add shredded cheese, remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted.
Prepare pasta according to package instructions. When pasta is finished cooking, remove from heat, drain water out, and add sauce. Stir to combine.
I added diced ham that I browned in the skillet before adding to the pasta and sauce. If you are going to add ham, reduce salt in sauce recipe.