1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced ham (small pieces)
1/3 cup onion (finely chopped)
1/3 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 TBS dill seeds
1 TBS kosher salt
3/4 cup warm milk (105°F to 115°F)
1 large egg (lightly beaten)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBS olive oil
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the cheese, diced ham, onion, bell pepper, garlic, dill and salt until well blended.
- When yeast is ready, warm the milk then add to chopped ingredients, stir then add the egg and then the yeast. Mix well.
- Stir in the flour 1/2 cup at a time, a stiff dough should form.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, turn so both sides are coated. Cover with a damp cloth then let rise for about 1 1/2 hours (should double in size).
- Punch down the dough then place in a greased round, 2-quart casserole. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for another 60 minutes (should be doubled in size).
- Brush the top with olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350°F preheated oven, should be golden on top. Transfer dish to a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing in to it.
- Bake the night before you plan on serving this, it’s better the next day!
- The milk took about 30 seconds in the microwave to get to the right temperature, yours may heat differently so it’s best to use a thermometer if you have one.
- You can serve wedges with butter but we find it’s moist enough without.