Today was the fabric sale at the Chappell Fire Hall benefiting Adopt-a-Dog Animal Rescue. There were over 1,000 yards of fabric for sale for only $2 a yard - so this was perfect for finding just the right fabric to make the Shawl Shirt that I have been wanting to make. I have the one below - so I used it as a "pattern" without taking it apart.
Which was to measure for the fitting and arms holes. I measured up from the bottom and then over from each side. Stitched a 6" straight line that would serve as the fitting.
(I am sure those that sew are laughing their booties off at me - because I am not using correct terminology, I don't think I really measured too much other then making sure that each side was marked the same. So please know this is not a pattern - it is just what I did to see if I could.)
Sorry for the crappy picture - didn't think I was going to put it in this post, but realized it's the only one I got with it semi finished. I really liked it this way, but felt it needed "something else" Looked too much like scrubs, so I decided to put some elastic down the front to give it a little more structure. Of course, I have never done that either, so who knew how it was going to turn out. I was quite nervous that I might ruin it if I kept messing with it, but I pushed the fear aside and went for it :) And let me say, it was NOT easy - I even ended up ripping out some of it and redoing it. All-in-all I liked how it turned out and I can't wait to start on the next one.