5 cups old fashion oats (not quick cooking oats)
1 1/2 cups dried apricots*, plums*, apples* (chopped into smaller pieces)
1 cup walnuts (roughly chopped into smaller pieces)
1 cup almond slices
1 cup roasted/lightly salted sunflower seeds
1 cup milled flax seed
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 egg whites
1 cup honey**
2/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp kosher salt
*to make this completely Sugar Free, make sure that the dried fruit does not have added sugar in it.
**for those that can not have any sugar, there is a sugar free version of honey available. If your body can have natural sugar you can use real honey instead.
- Preheat oven to 325*, prepare jelly roll pan with parchment paper
- In a medium pan, combine flax, walnuts, almonds, and cinnamon. Toast on medium heat for 5-10 minutes (the nuttiness will be very aromatic). Make sure not to keep it on the heat once it gets to this stage, as it can easily burn and ruin. If you do not feel comfortable toasting the ingredients, you can use them raw.
- In a large bowl combine oats, and the toasted ingredients.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine egg whites, honey, olive oil, vanilla, and salt. Whisk together until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Pour wet ingredients in oat mixture and stir, making sure that all of the oat mixture is covered. (I use my hands to mix, it's just easier.)
- Add the dried fruit pieces and mix to combine.
- Pour the wet granola onto pan and press mixture evenly into every corner, making sure that the mixture is even.
- Place cookie sheet in the oven on the middle rack, bake for 40-45 minutes (or until top is golden). Let cool for 25-30 minutes before cutting into bars.