1 pound swiss chard
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup roma tomatoes, small diced
Salt - to taste
5 cups chicken broth (or 3 tbsp vegetable broth powder & 5 cups of water)
1/2 cup pearl barley (substitute rice if you want to make it gluten free)
1 can drained cannellini beans
Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- Soak the Swiss Chard in cold water for 10 min., then drain and wash well.
- Slice the stalks crosswise 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the leaves into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook a couple minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, continue cooking a couple minutes longer.
- Add Swiss chard and season with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a boil.
- Add the barley and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes.
- Drain the barley (or rice), reserving the liquid.
- Add the barley (or rice) and beans to the chard, stir well and cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir in enough reserved liquid to reach soup consistency desired. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Laddle into bowls and top with grated cheese.
Recipe adapted from MysticRiver